Thursday, August 27, 2026

Supreme Court Reflection

The Supreme Court is a model of high courts across the world.

Before watching this video, I knew the U.S. Supreme Court was an important part of the government, but I did not realize just how influential it is. One of the most surprising things I learned is that the Supreme Court serves as a model for high courts around the world and is the most powerful judicial body on Earth.

Current Chief Justice John Roberts
The Court is made up of nine justices, and petitions arrive by the thousands every year. I was surprised to learn that the Court receives around 7,000 cases annually but only accepts about 100 of them for review. That statistic alone changed how I think about the Court’s role and the selectiveness of its work.

Another interesting detail was how the justices do much of their work in private. They deliberate and reach decisions behind closed doors, and their power ultimately rests on public faith in the institution. Once a case reaches the Supreme Court, the public no longer has a direct way to influence the verdict through voting, which highlights the responsibility the justices carry.

Something that stood out to me was how rare it is to become a Supreme Court justice. The video described it as like being struck by lightning, and it can take three to five years for new justices to fully adjust to the role. More than 100 people have served as justices, with the average justice serving about 16 years.

John Marshal

I also learned about Chief Justice John Marshall and the landmark case Marbury v. Madison. The Court’s decision to strike down an act of Congress as unconstitutional helped establish its authority and earned public respect. Marshall’s quote, “We must never forget it is a constitution we are expounding,” was especially memorable.

On the other hand, I was shocked to learn about the Dred Scott decision. The ruling claimed Congress had no power to ban slavery, and the video described it as the Court’s greatest self-inflicted wound because it weakened the Court’s authority.

What changed my view of the Supreme Court the most was learning about the professionalism among the justices. They shake each other’s hands before rulings, even when they strongly disagree. I also learned that some justices change their views during conferences after hearing other perspectives. To me, that demonstrates open-mindedness, respect, and a commitment to the law above personal differences.

                        ______________________________________________________________

AI DISCLOSURE: This post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the history of the Supreme Court. In addition to facts that I learned, I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I then asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources, as well as appropriate images and captions. 

______________________________________________________________

WATCH THE VIDEO 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Supreme Court Reflection

The Supreme Court is a model of high courts across the world. Before watching this video, I knew the U.S. Supreme Court was an important par...