Monday, September 28, 2026

Where Are the Anti War Voices?


For this assignment I explored two websites: Antiwar.com and The American Conservative. A lot of the articles that I saw on both sites were related to the ongoing military conflicts around the world that the nation is involved in. I've never heard of either of these websites before looking into them and there could be several different reasons for that. I'd assume that the main reason however is because websites or media outlets that have opinions or views that challenge our own government or popular beliefs reach a smaller audience.

The majority of people get their news and information from outlets such as CNN or Fox News for example. These websites help keep people updated but doesn't explore different perspectives in the way that these less popular websites do. 

When looking at Antiwar.com, one reason that it might not be as popular as some other websites is because of the founders principles. The founder is a Libertarian and focuses on Libertarian principles as opposed to typical Republican or Democratic beliefs.

I'd argue that although antiwar voices are rarer in mainstream news, they are still apparent. However, the reason that they aren't heard as much is because they have to be intentionally found. Most people who watch the news just want to stay up to date with what's going on in the nation and internationally. However, if someone were to want to explore a different perspective of current issues and conflicts such as through a Libertarian lens, then a website like Antiwar.com is extremely helpful.

Mainstream news sources focus on reporting current events and issues as opposed to sites like Antiwar.com and The American Conservative which focuses on analyzing these events and 

Although I don't believe that antiwar voices are being suppressed from the media, they are harder to find as they are rooted in smaller media outlets. These media outlets provide viewpoints that people will not find in common news sources. It's important to learn and research these different perspectives as it gives you a better understanding as to what's going on around the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment